Panel 1: Cybersecurity and Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- “Executive Order on Maintaining American Leadership in Artificial Intelligence.” The White House, The United States Government, www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-maintaining-american-leadership-artificial-intelligence/.
- “Summary of the 2018 Department Of Defense Artificial Intelligence Strategy.” DSIAC, www.dsiac.org/resources/news/summary-2018-department-defense-artificial-intelligence-strategy.
- United States, Department of Commerce, National Institute of Standards and Technology. “U.S. Leadership in AI: A Plan for Federal Engagement in Developing Technical Standards and Related Tools,” 10 Aug. 2019. www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2019/08/10/ai_standards_fedengagement_plan_9aug2019.pdf
- DoD Directive 3000.09, “Autonomy in Weapons Systems,” November 21, 2012, as amended, https://www.esd.whs.mil/portals/54/documents/dd/issuances/dodd/300009p.pdf
- Andrews, Jonathan. “The AIM Initiative: A Strategy for Augmenting Intelligence Using Machines.” Home, www.dni.gov/index.php/newsroom/reports-publications/item/1940-the-aim-initiative-a-strategy-for-augmenting-intelligence-using-machines?tmpl=component&print=1.
- Brundage, Miles, et al. “The Malicious Use of Artificial Intelligence: Forecasting, Prevention, and Mitigation.” ArXiv.org, 20 Feb. 2018, https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.07228.
- Henry A. Kissinger, Eric Schmidt. “The Metamorphosis.” The Atlantic, Atlantic Media Company, 11 July 2019, www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/08/henry-kissinger-the-metamorphosis-ai/592771/.
Report of the Attorney General’s Cyber Digital Task Force. United States Department of Justice, 2 July 2018, www.justice.gov/ag/page/file/1076696/download.
- Tucker, Patrick. “Military Scientists Harness AI To Fight Synthetic Opioids.” Defense One, 21 Aug. 2019, www.defenseone.com/technology/2019/08/military-scientists-harness-ai-fight-synthetic-opioids/159331/.
- Sayler, Kelley M. “Artificial Intelligence and National Security: A Congressional Research Service Report.” R45178, 30 Jan. 2019, https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/details?prodcode=R45178.
- Strout, Nathan. “How the Pentagon Is Tackling Deepfakes as a National Security Problem.” C4ISRNET, C4ISRNET, 29 Aug. 2019, www.c4isrnet.com/information-warfare/2019/08/29/how-the-pentagon-is-tackling-deepfakes-as-a-national-security-problem/.
- Lopez, C. Todd. “DOD Seeks Ethicist to Guide Deployment of Artificial Intelligence.” U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, 3 Sept. 2019, www.defense.gov/explore/story/Article/1950724/dod-seeks-ethicist-to-guide-deployment-of-artificial-intelligence/source/GovDelivery/.
Panel 2: Biological and Chemical Convergence
- Tucker, Jonathan B. Innovation, Dual Use, and Security: Managing the Risks of Emerging Biological and Chemical Technologies. MIT Press, 2012.
- Kania, Elsa B., and Wilson VornDick. “Weaponizing Biotech: How China’s Military Is Preparing for a ‘New Domain of Warfare’.” Defense One, 14 Aug. 2019, www.defenseone.com/ideas/2019/08/chinas-military-pursuing-biotech/159167/.
- Cervenka, Susanne. “Lyme Disease as War Weapon? Rep. Chris Smith’s Push for Probe Advances after Call for Trump to Investigate.” Asbury Park Press, Asbury Park Press, 17 July 2019, www.app.com/story/news/health/2019/07/16/lyme-disease-bioweapon-rep-chris-smiths-call-probe-advances/1735651001/.
National Biodefense Strategy. https://fas.org/irp/threat/cbw/biodef-strat.pdf
- Tucker, Jonathan B. “The Convergence of Biology and Chemistry: Implications for Arms Control Verification - Jonathan B. Tucker, 2010.” SAGE Journals, 3 Nov. 2016, https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0096340210387050
- “Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.” OPCW, www.opcw.org/.
- Willman, David. “Trump Administration Gutted Anti-Terrorism Programs. Bipartisan Officials Want an Explanation.” Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Times, 5 Sept. 2019, www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-09-05/bipartisan-congressional-officials-trump-administration-cuts-anti-wmd-terrorism
- Sutton, Victoria. “Emerging Biotechnologies and the 1972 Biological Weapons Convention: Can it Keep Up with the Biotechnology Revolution?” (2015), https://scholarship.law.tamu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1083&context=lawreview
Panel 3: Biological Enhancements and Genetics
- Greene, Marsha, and Zubin Master. “Ethical Issues of Using CRISPR Technologies for Research on Military Enhancement.” Journal of Bioethical Inquiry, vol. 15, no. 3, 2018, pp. 327–335., doi:10.1007/s11673-018-9865-6.
- “What Is CRISPR-Cas9?” Facts, The Public Engagement Team at the Wellcome Genome Campus, 19 Dec. 2016, www.yourgenome.org/facts/what-is-crispr-cas9.
- Doudna, Jennifer A., and Samuel H. Sternberg. A Crack in Creation: Gene Editing and the Unthinkable Power to Control Evolution. Mariner Books, 2018.
- Bidshahri, Raya. “The Power to Upgrade Our Own Biology Is in Sight-But Is Society Ready for Human Enhancement?” Singularity Hub, 26 Apr. 2019, https://singularityhub.com/2018/02/15/the-power-to-upgrade-our-biology-and-the-ethics-of-human-enhancement/
- KRISHNAN, ARMIN. Military Neuroscience and the Coming Age of Neurowarfare. ROUTLEDGE, 2018.
- Jesse Kirkpatrick, Editing Biosecurity
Panel 4: Nanotechnology
- Chandler, David L., and MIT News Office. “New Nanoparticle Catalysts Could Reduce Need for Precious Metals.” MIT News, 19 May 2016, news.mit.edu/2016/new-nanoparticle-catalysts-could-reduce-need-precious-metals-0519.
- Monte, Louis A. Del. “Are Nanoweapons Paving the Road to Human Extinction?” HuffPost, HuffPost, 3 June 2017, www.huffpost.com/entry/are-nanoweapons-paving-the-road-to-human-extinction_b_59332a52e4b00573ab57a3fe.
- “National Nanotechnology Initiative.” Nano. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Aug. 2019. https://www.nano.gov/
- Daniels, Jeff. “Mini-Nukes and Mosquito-like Robot Weapons Being Primed for Future Warfare.” CNBC, CNBC, 18 Mar. 2017, www.cnbc.com/2017/03/17/mini-nukes-and-inspect-bot-weapons-being-primed-for-future-warfare.html.
- Sutton, Victoria. “Military Technologies, Nanotechnology and Law: Using Nano-Science Fiction as an Analytical Tool” (July 2012), https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2103339
Technology in General
- “Are You Ready for the Technological Revolution?” https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/02/are-you-ready-for-the-technological-revolution/
- Eric T. Jensen, The Future of the Law of Armed Conflict: Ostriches, Butterflies, and Nanobots , 35 Mich. J. Int’l L. 253 (2014). Available at: http://repository.law.umich.edu/mjil/vol35/iss2/3
- Boffey, Daniel. “Robot, Heal Thyself: Scientists Develop Self-Repairing Machines.” The Guardian, Guardian News and Media, 7 Aug. 2019, www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/aug/07/robot-heal-thyself-scientists-develop-self-repairing-machines.
- “US Army.” Fox News, FOX News Network, www.foxnews.com/category/tech/topics/us-army.
- Sutton, Victoria. “A Multidisciplinary Approach to an Ethic of Biodefense and Bioterrorism” 33 J.L. Med. & Ethics 310, 2005, https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2122590