Course Registration: An Overview
Second and third-year JD students advance register for fall and spring courses, seminars, clinics, externships, and co-curricular activities during advance registration. First-year students advance register for spring courses only.
LLMs also request courses and seminars during advance registration each term - however, LLMs should not request clinics and externships; the Clinic will conduct interviews to fill available seats (dates to be announced).
Master in Law students can also participate in advance registration or, if you are a dual degree ML candidate, you should request a course through this link: Request to Take a Law Course.
Course requests are managed through Penn InTouch.
Fall registration takes place during the summer, in late June/July. Spring registration is in late October. You will be notified by the Registrar’s Office when your final schedule is available on Penn InTouch.
During the advance registration period your course requests are being collected. Courses are not actually scheduled until the request period is over. Your chance of being placed in a course is not affected by when you enter your requests.
Add/drop takes place during the first two weeks of class in both the fall and spring semesters.
- Upper-Level Course Offerings and Registration Information (2L, 3Ls, LLM, LLCM)
- First-Year Course Offerings and Registration Information
- Register for an Independent Study or Moot Court Competition
- Enrollment Procedures for Clinical Courses (including procedures for LLMs)
- Enrollment Procedures for Externships
- Enroll in a Course at Penn
- Exam Schedules & Policies and Procedures